February news

Greetings to One and All on this grey but mild February day,

February's been a quiet month for me. I've spent the time focussing on getting more of my graphic novel 'Prof Millpot and the Golden Web' done. It's ticking along nicely and the whole graphic novel should be finished in early May. It'll be great when the project is completed but, to be honest, it has been a slog to keep churning out the pages through this recent winter. I will be super-chuffed to have completed my first graphic novel, but that feeling seems a million miles away when you're sitting at the desk on a wet, rainy day, working on picture 745, knowing there's another 328 to go… But that's me just feeling sorry for myself, so I'll stop! Fortunately, the latest chapter of the story has involved a dark, foggy London so that's been pretty easy to render on the page:

prof-foggy-london

That's all the news for now, apart from the fact that Spring is in the air in London and the daffodils are coming out. It's even stopped raining for a few days. Hooray! :-)

December news

Happy Christmas Festive Period Everyone!

I haven’t got any new announcements to pass on, apart from a reminder that my short story ‘The Lost Emotion’ should be due out next month in the next issue of Arc science fiction magazine, if all goes to plan.

For those interested in how my graphic novel ‘Prof Millpot and the Golden Web’ is getting on, here’s the latest completed page:

prof-reading-room

Part 1 of the book is complete, and Part 2 is planned out, ready for artwork. There’s a hundred pages of artwork to do, so it’ll be about six months before the whole story is finished.

I can’t think of anything else to mention. I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and New Year!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!

The updated manuscript for 'Faery Engines' is now complete and is wending its way to the literary agent. It's been fun to update it; I've learnt a few more things (I think!) about writing just from doing the update. This latest version of the fantasy comedy is now much more character driven than it was before. Previously, everything in the story was aimed at the fun ideas. Now, I've made the relationship between the main characters an important part of the book with the fun ideas as a backdrop to their interactions. Hopefully, these changes will improve readers' enjoyment of the story.

Now the fantasy comedy update has been completed, at least for now, my next tasks are getting 'The Golden Web' available for purchase and writing a new script for the television script agent. I'll post any important news regarding those projects as and when they occur.
Have a great 2012!

A.

Copper Book just keeps on developing

There's nothing like chatting to people about your work to really get you interested in it again. I visited the london expo last sunday at the Excel centre in docklands. During my meanderings around the comic village stands, I struck up a conversation with the owner of the Mogzilla publishing company. They publish novels for a young readership and were happy to take a lot at Copper Book. They couldn't promise anything and didn't take on too many authors at a time, but they were willing to see what I've got. Read More...

The Arvon Graphic Novel course was great!

On the week beginning the 20th September, I went on an Arvon Foundation Graphic Novel course (http://www.arvonfoundation.org/) at their Shropshire centre. It was very good. The tutors - Bryan Talbot and Hannah Berry - were encouraging, knowledgeable and lots of fun to be with. The emphasis of the course was on the writing side (since Arvon is for writers) and so we explored story structure, editing, setting, dialogue and character. I think what impressed me most about the course was the atmosphere of the graphic novel and comic world. It seemed far more down-to-earth, relaxed and a collection of enthusiasts than other creative areas. Read More...

New site!

Hello everyone!

This is the new version of my web site. Unfortunately, the old version suffered a terminal crash when WordPress (the blogging engine software) suggested that I upgrade my version of the software. I dutifully agreed. The software upgrade occurred and promptly crashed my site. I tried to apply the fixes. I then tried to install a clean version. I then tried to install the previous version. All to no avail. As a result of this, I've decided to take the opportunity to use a different web creation system. Instead of using WordPress to run the blog and iWeb to create the static pages, I'm now going to use RapidWeaver to do everything. Fingers crossed, it'll produce a better, easier to maintain and more stable site than the previous setup.

This currently isn't the final layout of the site. It's simply a temporary, simple version until the final layout is completed.

All my old blog entries will be recreated on the new site. It'll make a mess of any sense of chronology for events, but most of the entries weren't specifically about particular dates, so I don't think it'll be too big a problem.

Let me know what you think! There'll be a contact page as in the past if you don't know my email address.